June 16, 2013

ASP Triad LED Flashlight - Gear Review

Today I will be reviewing the ASP Triad LED Flashlight for LEO/Security/Military duty use. 

Technical Specs: Right out of the box, the flashlight is lightweight and durable, it is made from aerospace aluminum with a foamed vinyl grip. One of my favorite features of this flashlight is the end cap pressure switch. It also features a 3-position rotating bezel which allows [Constant On] [Pressure On] [Locked Off] Per the manufacturers specifications, this flashlight features  265 lumen bulb and comes in either [rechargeable] or [AAA Batteries] version.


image
My Experience: I have carried this flashlight daily on my duty belt for approximately 6 months, I have only recharged the flashlight once in this time (granted I currently work during daylight hours) however, I have used the flashlight multiple times for searches and various other things during this time. Personally, I prefer to use the pressure switch rather then the always on mode as it allows you to have control over the light in a tactical shooting situation. There have been many reviews that state the ASP Triad Flashlight doesn't work reliably, does not recharge, or dies. Personally, I have never had ANY of these issues, it is obviously a potential that the first release models had issues (after all, what doesn't) but it would appear that ASP has fixed the issue now. Regardless, ASP also features a lifetime warranty on the majority of its products. I purchased the rechargeable model which features a USB Micro recharging port underneath the flashlight bezel (see pics) which can be charged via computer, outlet, or car attachment (both provided in the box).


image

The Holster: The ASP Triad is compatible with the designated rotating flashlight scabbard (almost identical to the ASP Baton Scabbard) However, this scabbard only rotates to 3 positions, rather then a full 360 degrees. This holder is awesome in retention and protection, pretty much does just what it is supposed to do.



image

The Conclusion: I would probably give this flashlight setup a 7.5/10 - Purely because of the battery life. If you are working overnights and require a flashlight for the majority of your shift. You may have to carry a backup or recharge this in your vehicle over your lunch break. Although I have not personally tested this flashlights constant on run time, ASP website states 1.5-2 Hours per charge. Other then that I have highly enjoyed this light system on my duty belt and will continue to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment