June 16, 2013

Smith & Wesson M&P15 Optics Ready Review (Text & Video)

I Chose the M&P15 Optics Ready simply for price point and quality, I purchased the weapon on 05/23/2013, post election price was $860, with the Nations Finest Rebate I’ll end up being into it for $760. I should add the purpose of this rifle is patrol/defense use, not a shelf filler what-so-ever.

Total Budget for this Build on a Budget: $1100
Total Spent on this Build: $1020
Anyway onto the build, 

1) Replaced that disgusting factory grip with a Magpul MOE grip, night and day difference, for approximately $20 I have to recommend this upgrade.

2) The “Optics Ready” gave me quite a bit of trouble initially, deciding what the best back up iron sights were going to be without spending $200 on a set of Troy Defense sights that will be zeroed and then never used again (remember I’m on a public servants salary) Now, before I get flamed for the age old ”is your life worth a cheap set of sights?” let me remind you that good equipment does not make a good shooter. I chose the UTG flip up iron sights, they run about $40 for the pair, they are a great solid set of back up sights. They do not feature spring assisted opening, which contributes largely to the affordable price.

3) The next dilemma was the reflex scope. Once again, my budget for the entire build was approximately $1100 (Total came to about $1020) I debated investing a ton of money into an EO-Tech, or going a cheaper route, after many hours of research and reading reviews, I found the Sightmark Ultra Shot QD Sight for $90. The sight features a quick release clamp, 4 different reticles, 5 brightness settings, and cheap batteries ( must) My thought process behind this was finding an affordable red dot scope that was both effective and durable. Also, Sightmark features a 2 year warranty should anything happen to the sight making it a one of the best functioning looking and working sights at the price point.

4) the final thing that had to go is the ugly and out dated A2 style hand guard. These hand guards are useful for literally nothing, as well as failing to properly allow the barrel to cool. I replaced this with a picatinny rail which was complimented by a set of Magpul XTM Enhanced Rail Panels, forward grip to come in the future. I chose this over a Magpul hand guard as it allows 100% customization on the fly.
That’s all for now, more pics to follow.  


My AR


h

No comments:

Post a Comment